Saturday, May 14, 2005

I bought some wooden boxes today at Pat Catans. Bex at Chile Con Yarne made these wonderful boxes by taking old paperback books and modge podging (is that really a verb? I guess decoupage would be more accurate) the covers to the tops, and snippets of text on the sides. I wanted to do something similar with old children's books. But I am not liking how they turned out. I used primers so I could fit short phrases--such as a Dick and Jane one with sentences such as Jane said "here Puff." I am not sure what it needs, but it needs something more. Maybe if I just added some paint. Or maybe bits from old magazines? I may have some upstairs. Or I might have thrown them out in a fit of organization as I am prone to do.

2 Comments:

At 1:29 AM, May 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put feet on my boxes. Bought some medium sized wooden beads and glued 'em to the bottom. The boxes with the text all going in the same direction looked best (rather than randomly stuck on there.) They also ended up pretty sticky, and I would recommend spraying it with some sort of sealer when you're done. I also want to try a box without hinges next time. Put some little bauble on top for a handle. And paint is good, on the inside. I painted one box all black and really didn't like it. Aaanyways, there is so much you can do!

 
At 2:40 AM, May 15, 2005, Blogger Donna said...

Yes, I remember the beads for feet, it was a nice touch. I am using matte acrylic medium, it doesn't seem to be as sticky as users of modge podge complain. I have used it on a lot of other things with no problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home