Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Kiki Doll

This is Kiki, from Kiki's Delivery Service:



This one is my doll. The girls can play with her if they ask, but she sits on my desk. I think she may need a broom.

Some time ago I saw a Japanese book that used children's drawings to make quilts. Each drawing was a block, the drawing was transfered to fabric and then embroidered. It was such a whimsical way to preserve drawings--I feel guilty when I throw some of them away, but I can only save so many. So last weekend I went out to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought tracing paper in muslin, eagerly explaining to the staff what I was doing "how cute!". Back home, I looked through the folder of drawings I had saved, transfered a few to muslin and begin a clumsy backstitch--embroidery is not a strong point, I need to practice more. I finished a drawing of a cat, when Miranda came over and rather hesitantly explained that these were her private drawings and she didn't want them made into embroidery.

Part of me was torn between "but it's such a great project!" and respect for her wanting control over her drawings. And respect won. But I haven't shelved the project entirely, I am hoping Ivy will be more receptive to seeing her drawings rendered in cotton.

3 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, February 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet Kiki! Did you design her yourself? I love her hair, so thick & unruly.

This is my first visit here, all your crafts and clothes are wonderful and so imaginative!

 
At 9:04 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Donna said...

Thanks! I modified a pattern from this website

http://www.dab.hi-ho.ne.jp/runo/cat/nekomimi.html

by simply omitting the ears and sizing it down a bit.

 
At 12:22 AM, February 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that website! I haven't come across it before. I may have to make something from there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home