Friday, April 27, 2007

Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki is a type of savory pancake eaten in Japan. It's made from flour, eggs, cabbage and a type of yam--I can't remember it's Japanese name. You can either grate the yam or get it in powdered form. I haven't been able to find it in any of the shops here, so when I make okonimiyaki, I omit it. But when Yoshimi went back to Japan, she gave me a few food items, among them a packet of the yam powder.


I used this basic recipe and added the yam powder Okonomiyaki Recipe

In the pan. There's bacon on top.

Ready to eat! There is mayonaise, okonomiyaki sauce (a sort of sweet brown sauce. You can substitute a mixture of worcestershire sauce, ketchup and soy sauce), bonito flakes and seaweed on top. Sometimes I put pickled ginger as well. It's so good!

1 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had Okonomiyaki for years - thanks for reminding me how nice it is. That brown sauce is bulldog sauce isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home