Monday, March 19, 2007

Sometimes I need to remember it really is less of a waste of time to fix something properly, then try and "fix" it. I am making a dress for Ivy, well, really a petticoat. I was at Joann's on Saturday, walking around with my 50% off a cut of fabric coupon, when I found some eyelet. Normally I don't like polyester blends, but I thought the fabric would make a great slip under a spring dress. Then I decided, why not make a full slip, that way she can wear it as a dress if she wants. Oh, I really hate working with synthetics. It frays, it's slippery, it just doesn't feel as nice as cotton. But the eyelet embroidery is pretty and it's going to look nice peeking out under the hem of a dress. I had attached the skirt to the bodice and was going to handsew the lining down, when I decided to try it on Ivy and realized it was much too long. I didn't want to redo the skirt, so tried to make a few tucks, but the fabric was difficult to work with and after redoing them several times and still having the tucks pucker in spots, it was obvious it would be easier to just redo the skirt. Which I did. And while I did waste an hour on the tucks, I know in the end I am going to be happier with the way the dress looks.

We moved into this house in the fall, and there are a number of trees on the property I can't identify. In the front yard I was pleased to discover a pussy willow tree, or so I thought. A few weeks ago I brought a few branches in and put them in water---and apparently they aren't pussy willows after all, since they bloomed. I can't figure out what it is--is anyone familiar with a tree that gets fuzzy gray buds similar to pussy willows, but bloom with a multi-petaled white flower with a touch of pink? It's really beautiful, but I kind of wish it was a pussy willow; I really love them.


Any clues?

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, March 20, 2007, Blogger Melinda said...

Hmmm. . . I'm thinking some type of magnolia. Magnolia flowers are usually bigger but the rest of the description fits.

 
At 12:40 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Bumbershootska said...

I thought that they looked like magnolia too - you are sooooooo lucky to have them. They must smell delightful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home