Friday, May 18, 2007

Hikaru Dorodango

Anjali at Giant Jean's Parlor wrote an interesting account of her experience making dorodango at local festival in Japan. I'd never heard of dorodango before-- beautiful shiny balls made of mud and originating on Japanese playgrounds.

Can you believe this was once a handful of mud?

I found this image online, I haven't tried to make one yet. I cannot believe the patience of children taking three hours to create one of those, but then my own kids have a pretty short attention span--though we already know they do like to play in the mud!

Anjali explains the process very well on her website but she also links to this article which is an interesting observation of preschool children making the spheres and includes very easy instructions. I'm really intriqued and would at least like to attempt my own hikaru dorodango.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, May 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so neat! I just read about them in the latest Craft too! (Vol. 3, p. 140). I want to try making one too, but I don't know about 3 hours...

 
At 5:38 PM, April 14, 2009, Blogger Amy said...

Hi! I made my first doradango last week, and it is very easy, as long as you don't get frustrated. I never did the 'rest in a plastic bag' step, I just kept adding dirt and smoothing, adding dirt and smoothing. When cracks formed I paid attention to those areas more.

Don't think about it too much. Don't intellectualize. Remember that little kids do it. It is not hard.

Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home