Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Me or You?

A number of crafty bloggers have written about the frustration of trying to balance creativity with mothering. I've felt the same sort of frustration--I am beginning to think the perfect weekend would be one where rest of the family would go somewhere while I stayed at home with the sewing machine for hours of uninterrupted crafting. But something that also frustrates me is balancing making something that I choose, versus something my daughter wants. Last Saturday I bought supplies for carving my own stamps and was eager to try them out after dinner. My daughter had been quietly looking through my Japanese books, and decided she really, really needed a stuffed hampster. Now, I do feel it's okay to take time for myself, and I do make quite a few things for the girls, but I did feel both annoyed at the idea of taking time away from something I really wanted, and a bit guilty that I wasn't instantly ready to make a toy for my daughter. I do feel proud of the things that I make for them, and I am happy that they enjoy my labors, but sometimes I do need some time for myself, making something I want to make. By the way, I did make her the hampster and had time left over to carve a few stamps.

So, a project for myself. A large messenger bag from a piece of floral fabric I bought from the thrift store. I generally don't care for splashy florals, but I really like this one. It's lined with a light green and white print--I can't remember the term for a print that shows a country scene.


I am not sure if I want to put something on the flap, I was thinking some sort of embroidered patch, but not sure what.

3 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know that frustration well. I keep on not-at-all-subtley suggesting to my hubby that he take Max somewhere for a Saturday afternoon, but that doesn't work for someone who loves being home and hates going out. I'm actually very jealous of him right now, he's at home by himself while Max and I are off on vacation.

You *do* need time for yourself. As wonderful as it is to make things for kids, you shouldn't feel guilty about not making something for your daughter at the moment she wants it. Your solution was a good one, you split your free time into you-time and daughter-time. Perhaps you could even do your stuff first one day!

Your messenger bag is beautiful. I love the large scale floral print!

 
At 6:37 PM, June 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i *long* for a crafty weekend away from the fam-dam.
ohhh yes.

 
At 5:56 PM, July 09, 2006, Blogger craftymodster said...

The bag is gorgeous! I can relate to the balancing act completely (it's so difficult, as always).
anjo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home