Saturday, August 26, 2006

Thai Sticky Rice

Many Americans used to the Uncle Ben type rice ("every grain separate!") often refer to asian rice as "sticky" since the grains do clump together. But true sticky rice is something different, also referred to as glutinous rice or sweet rice. It has a delicious chewy texture when cooked.


as you can see, I am due to go grocery shopping at the asian food market.

The first time I cooked it I made it like regular rice and it turned to porridge. So I checked out how to cook it properly and discovered I was doing it entirely wrong. You need to soak the rice for at least 4 hours and even overnight, which is why I don't eat more sticky rice since I have a hard time remembering to put it to soak. Then you drain all the water and it's ready to steam.


There's a special steamer used in Thailand, but I just use a bamboo steamer. I used to have a round cake pan I would put the rice in so it wouldn't fall out the bottom, but I let it soak too long in the dishwater and it rusted. Cheesecloth or a piece of muslin works fine as well. Put the rice into the steamer, set in a large skillet filled with water, turn the heat on medium to high and steam for about 20 minutes. The rice will be translucent when done.


Traditionally it's eaten with the hands, you roll it into little balls and use it to scoop up the other food. I like to eat mine in a bowl with toppings. Here I have steamed spinach, mung beans and chicken. It's seasoned with fish sauce and a squirt of sriracha.


It's also very good for breakfast with scrambled egg, chopped scallions and peanuts.

Apparently you can even cook it in a microwave, which I would like to try.

2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, August 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! You've reminded me of my bag of sweet rice in the cupboard. Every time I think of making it, I'm faced with the same dilemma: I should have started thinking this yesterday! So I have yet to try it, but perhaps one day!

 
At 4:03 AM, May 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should try it with some mango as well, and eat it sweet with some coconut milk!

love you blog and all your craftiness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home