Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kappa Kimono

I really love making these little kimonos, the pattern is from one my Japanese books ISBN 4834715809

This one is jade green, lined with a cotton print. I wanted to stamp the little kappa on the front with white fabric paint, but the white wouldn't show up dark enough so I made a little patch instead.



They cross over the chest and fasten with two ties


This one is white muslin lined with pink, with a little embroidered house. There is sashiko embroidery around the sleeves and neckline



Here is a close-up of the embroidery. The house and tree are wool felt, the rest is embroidered.


It took me forever to get good pictures of them. I have followed all sorts of advice, but I still don't really know what actually produces a good picture. I just have to take lots and hope at least one is okay.

6 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Junie Moon said...

The kimonos are lovely. I love the little patch, too. Thank you for sharing your work.

 
At 10:42 AM, July 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kimonos are beautiful! You did such a lovely job on them. I have the same problem with photos, I don't know how to make a good one so I just take lots and hope. Your pictures look good! But I know how frustrating and time-consuming this method is.

 
At 1:59 AM, July 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your pictures are great - they certainly make me want to bust out the sewing machine and make something pretty!

The embroidered house is just gorgeous!

 
At 3:30 AM, July 22, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I just found you via Crafting Japanese and have really enjoyed looking at your work. Your finishing details are brilliant and now I'm coveting a baby kimona, I think your pictures are excellent.

 
At 8:48 PM, July 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can get a really nice close up picture of your work if you use an ordinary flatbed scanner, i've tried it and it works really well.

 
At 10:23 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Miriam said...

Wow, the little white kimono is so adorable! Here is a link to taking good photographs that might be useful:
http://www.theswitchboards.com/articles_professionalphotos.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home