Monday, November 20, 2006

I think I resolved the issues with Ivy's dress. A big part of the problem was one of the fabrics I chose just wasn't working with the rest of the dress. I really wanted to use it, but I wasn't happy with the results. Another problem is that Ivy has a narrow torso, her ribcage and shoulders are about a size smaller than the rest of her, due to surgery when she was born for a large omphalocele. So I need to make the larger size to accomodate her height, but size the bodice down. This was a more fitted dress than I usually make, so I needed to be sure the measurements were correct. I have to confess that in general I am a sloppy seamstress, I am more excited about the outcome than the actual process so I tend to sort of try and fix sewing problems without actually taking out seams and redoing anything. This time that wouldn't work, and I had to redo the whole bodice. I'm happy with the results and Ivy likes the dress so I guess I was successful. Here it is before hemming and finishing the lining. I cannot ever get facings to lie flat, so I almost always line bodices--which gives a nicer finish anyway, I think


This started out three years ago as a skirt for Miranda, based on the beautiful skirts the women of Lapland create. There are strips of colored flannel and flowered ribbon trim. It never looked quite right to me and has been sitting on my fabric shelf. As I am packing and sorting things, it occured to me it would make a warm pair of pants for Ivy.
Please pardon the poor quality of this picture, I don't know why my pictures are sometimes great and sometimes lousy when I swear I do the same thing everytime.

1 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, November 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty dress! I especially like the stripey bits...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home