Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Needle Felting

I felted two little mice for the girls, something simple to get started. I tend to want to do something really impressive right away, this was just the right project to figure out the technique. I am going to try and felt some with lavender in the middle to use as drawer sachets.



Now I am working on a home for our gnomes based on these

Sage Dream Design

The thing I love about needle felting something like this is that it's very hard to mess it up, mistakes just become part of the "landscape". I'd like to finish it as a gift to Miranda and Ivy on the Solstice. I always intend to do a proper seasonal celebration, but Winter Solstice often gets lost in Christmas preparations.

Over the past four years, I have been somewhat obsessed with making wool boots. I tried the techniques here and Here but numerous attempts only led to lumps of wool in a vague boot form. I then tried knitting boots that were then felted and had some success with a flat pattern (I hate double-pointed needles, mostly because I can't master them) and made quite a few of those for various people and now I am thinking of attempting to needle felt a pair of baby boots. The knitted ones I felt are great, but several years ago I saw a pair of boots at a fair, they were red and pointy toed and the workmanship was just lovely, more delicate than the ones I knit, but still substantial enough to be footwear. So I may try again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home