Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The end is finally here!

At last, the final day of February. It's over and there are only three more weeks until the Spring Equinox. I realize that living in Cleveland means it will probably be three more months until actual warm weather, but at least I know it's on it's way.

We celebrated by making cake. I used the recipe on the side of the Hershey's cocoa can. I substitute butter for the vegetable oil and cut the sugar in half--the sweetness level seems fine to me, and the girls never noticed. I think the frosting makes up for it, and is a better balance than if the cake had been sweeter. For todays cakes I cut the recipe in half. I used three miniature Wilton baking pans. They came as a set and I think they measure 4 inches across. I had some leftover batter so I used the tiny bundt cake pan that came in a child's baking set from Magic Cabin--which I don't see on the website anymore.

We frosted them with buttercream frosting and an assortment of sprinkles left over from Christmas and Halloween. The letters are alphabet cookies--the M is for Matthias and the C is from Cluny, two characters from Redwall.





I went out for a walk tonight, it's still cold but I was able to just wear a sweatshirt and feel fine. There still is muddy slushy snow piled up on the treelawns and sidewalks, but soon it will be gone (I hope). While I was walking, I heard a screech owl. I guess they are becoming more urbanized, but that's the first time I heard one here in the city. They really sound beautiful. It was a nice treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home